Sunday, February 18, 2007

21 Things




Look, a bridge! Yes, this photo is irrelevant except for the fact that it adds colour to an otherwise dull space. Hey, here is some stuff about me.

1) I am a Christian.

2) My favorite TV show of all time is The Sopranos.

3) I am twenty-five years old.

4) I have pictures of sail boats on my doona.

5) I am 5’ 10’’ (179cm).

6) In an ideal world I would like to be 6’ 1’’ because I would look cooler and still be good at soccer and cricket.

7) I live in Melbourne.

8) I use to live in Perth.

9) I received my first welfare payment ever last week.

10) I want to buy a new digital camera.

11) I am studying to be teacher.

12) I studied civil engineering for three years and then dropped out.

13) I am single.

14) I can play “Blackbird” from The Beatles White Album on my guitar.

15) My favourite beer is Corona. With a slice of lemon.

16) I once swallowed a 10c piece during a drinking game.

17) I am pretty fit. I scored 12.4 in a beep test in January.

18) I am too uncoordinated to play basketball.

19) I like living near the ocean but hardly ever swim in it.

20) I am almost out of orange juice.

21) This is my third attempt at a blog.

I moved to Melbourne four weeks ago and having spent a lot of that time without regular access to my Ipod (left it back in Perth), newspapers (too poor at the moment) and the internet has taught me that I can do without (post)-modern conveniences, if I need to. It’s funny how the things that supposedly make our lives better actually steal our joy because they distract us from the one thing that really matters: relationships and people. I’m a lot happier – and I even appreciate technology a lot more – when I spend less time around it.



Why am I starting a blog then? I love blogs, they rock. I especially love how the seemingly mundane details of a person’s life can be shaped into a story that is humorous, tragic and uplifting. Writing gives you the power to find an identity and, if you need to, shed your skin and start fresh somewhere else.

On the other hand, spending too much time on a blog (like spending too much time with technology) makes you very self-absorbed. The type of lifestyle that is centered around my desires and getting everything I want is not particularly fulfilling. True freedom is not getting everything you want, it is being free from yourself.

What is really cool about blogging, is not that it gives you an opportunity to construct a more authentic self – that is just an added extra. Blogging, like any form of writing, offers , us the chance to inscribe knowledge and give insight. When we write about the things that makes us laugh or cry, give us hope or make us fear, we are not just getting something off our chest or telling a story that is entertaining, we are helping each other, we are teaching each other how to live. I hope that that is what this blog can be about.

5 comments:

Shelley said...

Jeez, and to think that my blog is mostly about my slow[ish] spiral into complete insanity. Is it, do you think, too self-absorbed to blog about yourself going crazy?

Also, welcome back...

Ross said...

Man, that was quick! How did you know I was posting again?

Thanks :) It's good to be back.

Shelley said...

Oh right, well that would be the sophisticated spying on EVERYONE equipment type stuff I own...or maybe I saw your comment on that dull waste of cake blog that Mark calls home and investigated...

I prefer option one.

Anonymous said...

Nails - FUCKER! When I get to Sydney, you're going DOWN.

Hey Ross - hope yr having fun. Can't believe you like Corona, man. And the Sopranos.

Hey, what do you mean that true freedom is from yourself? That sounds pretty interesting.

Shelley said...

See this, Mark? *brandishes knife* I've got your number...