Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I am not well. My head feels like someone has been stuffing cotton balls up my nose for the last hour. And I can't think of a clever way to segue to a blog post so here is summary that I think I have used before.

The Good
: I finished Tim Winton's Breath today. I enjoyed it but I think it is one of those novels that I think I come to love when I read it a second time. Anyhow, the fact that I have actually found a Tim Winton novel that I enjoyed reading at all is an achievement, especially after the debacle that was Dirt Music. I love the way his stories explore broken people, how those people become broken and whether anything can fill the God-shaped hole they find in their lives. Although, he does seem to use the same three or four archetypes each time.

The Bad: My head cold.

The Ugly: Year 9s. I don't want to go there.

I think I am drifting at the moment. In spite of my fondness and admiration for the people I work with, I am starting to wonder whether I am cut out for life in a public school in a low socio-economic area. I love teaching but I am not exactly a people person and I don't think I can make an impact on people who don't really have a desire to learn. Unfortunately, a significant section of the student cohort has a serious "Fuck You" attitude problem. You hearing me? Is there any point spending another year of my life when the grass could be greener on the other side?
Here endeth the confession.

1 comment:

Mark said...

This is why student teachers should never talk to real teachers outside school. Anyways, get yourself a transfer. Apply to private schools - they are desperate for people who can play sport and are moderately religious.

Anyway, I don't know if you read what I wrote on my site, but if the GQ threads fail to land me a post at Guildford Grammar I might come over east next year. Can you send me an email re: RCT work and the practicality of trying Recruitment Online from a different state?