Thursday, March 15, 2007

Back in the USSR

In lieu of a coherent narrative here are some dot points that sum up my first twenty-four hours back in Perth.

Things that Melbourne has that my corner of Perth does not:

  • People with dark skin.
  • Decent public transport.
  • Late-nite shopping.
  • A decent night life. Unless the pool tables in the public bar down the street count.

Things I had forgotten about:

  • The way my parents bicker.
  • What it is like to sleep on a queen-sized mattress.
  • What the ocean (or at least dead seaweed) smells like.
  • Warm autumn nights.

Things I miss already:

  • My computer.
  • My car.
  • The Age.
  • My independence.

Things I will take back with me:

  • My Medicare card, if I can find it.
  • Novels I read while I was in high school.
  • A short story I wrote when I was an undergrad.
  • A hangover. If I am not careful.

In age where everyone is seeking a sea-change or a tree-change I couldn’t be happier to be as far away from my backwater beachtown as possible. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that there is something inherently iniquitous about small towns. However, a change in my external circumstances has given me a chance to break a lot of my bad habits and forge good ones. And, as well, living somewhere that is urban, multi-cultural and otherwise unfamiliar is teaching me things about life that I could never learn here in Summer Bay.

All and all, the Melbourne move has been a success. I will probably stay there for another eighteen months at least. If I knew someone who was moving in the opposite direction I wouldn't advise against it but there a couple of myths you have to get over first.

MYTH: Beach towns are full of colourful characters like ‘Diver David’ and romantic accidents happen all the time.

REALITY: Nobody cares that you are a washed up barrister from Sydney looking for a second chance. Everyone wants to get home to watch Grey’s Anatomy and CSI.

MYTH: Everyone is as buffed and tanned as the characters on Home and Away.

REALITY: The beaches are filled with leathery retirees. All the young people are working in pubs and coffee shops so they can finish their degrees and move to the city.

MYTH: The ocean is an image of beauty and tranquillity.

REALITY: The ocean is an image of beauty and tranquillity but smells like fat man who has eaten a bad vindaloo.

Cue laugh track.

Sorry about that. Please keep reading my blog.

4 comments:

lucy said...

I'll keep reading.

And I'm with you on the Perth thing, great place to visit (my mother lives in Sth Perth) but couldn't live there.

Ross said...

Thanks :)

Actually, it has been fun times here the last few days and now I have to go through the pain of leaving a second time.

Shelley said...

It's okay to say that small towns suck - especially if you've lived in one for a very long time. There's a supposrt group - want their number?

James said...

You've summed up the Melbourne/Perth differences pretty well. I had dinner with a friend on Saturday night who lives in Sydney now, but grew up in Perth who was even less flattering. "Beautiful, but boring" is my suggested slogan for Tourism WA.